Tuesday, March 13, 2012

zucchini brownies



For our staff meetings at school, we have to bring in food for everybody else to nibble on- we're all famished at the end of a day. It goes on a roster. Tomorrow is my first time bringing in food. Since we scrapped the 'lollies only' policy at the start of the year, each staff meeting food has been getting more and more decadent. Ms. T- one of the teachers in my team, is a vegan, and did food last week. I'm in a precarious position because I kind of want to feed everyone, and so have been stressing out about this food since I found out it was my turn. That being said, there's no way I can possibly feed everyone, what with the veganism, the gluten intolerance, the fructose intolerance, the low-fat, low-sugar, low-water, low-food, etc etc etc.
So, I said: "stuff it", and made the best brownies I know how to make.
And, they have zucchini, no animal products, only a bit of oil (compared to some I've seen) and they're moist and tasty. Here's the recipe:

  • 2 cups flour (I used self-raising so didn't need baking powder. If you want to use baking powder instead, with plain flower, add 1 teaspoon).
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • Pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa.
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla essence (or the imitation stuff).
  • 1/2 cup oil (I think when I made them I used 1/4. WHOOPS. Doesn't seem to have made a huge difference- mine might be slightly less 'gooey'...)
  • 2 cups peeled & grated zucchini (this was 2 zucchinis for me. They were average size).

Preheat oven to 350F/175C
Combine the flour (&baking powder), salt & cocoa in a bowl.

In a different bowl, combine the sugar, oil, vanilla and zucchini. Stir this well and let it sit for a couple of minutes. It should go really liquidy. 

When it's ready, pour the zucchini mix into the dry bowl and mix well. 

Pour into an ungreased (doesn't seem to make a difference either way) 9 x 13 inch pan. Cook for 30 mins.

I top mine with icing sugar - not made into icing/frosting.


---

The amazing thing about this brownies is that unless you studied the top of them when they're cooked (which you can't do due to the icing sugar), there's no way you'd be able to tell there were zucchinis in there. I think that after about 12 hours (after cooking) they're slightly chewy and a bit 'gooeyier', so it's worth the wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment